Monday, November 16, 2009

Blog #10

In Chapter 9 I learned numerous new things and all that interested me. However, the topic of explaining language development caught my interest the most. In this section two different people, a Behaviorist and a Linguist both expressed their reasons to how humans learn what we know. Skinner, the Behaviorist, stated we learn by 3 main principles; association, imitation, and reinforcement. He gave an example of each such as for association, the sight of things with sound, imitation, the words and syntax modeled by others, and reinforcement, smiles and/or hugs when the child says something right, The Chomsky, the Linguist, stated children acquire untaught words and grammar faster than solely learning principles. Children generate all sorts of sentences they have never heard. Chomsky believes given adequate nurture language will naturally occur. He gave the example that no parent teaches their child to say “I hate you, Daddy.” I found this interesting because I believe that both are right to an extent. I believe Skinner more than Chomsky because although we don’t teach children bad words or negative comments they hear them from their models or parents and they imitate them thinking that is what they are suppose to do.
As defined in the textbook creativity is the ability to produce novel and valuable ideas. I chose that one because I usually come up with ideas to write about or an answer to solve a problem. I can honestly say that I am creative. I believe I am most creative when designing something or decorating. I love to scrapbook and I think that is where most of my creativity is shown. I also apply being creative to my everyday life by helping people solve their problems. I personally think if you have a solution to someone’s problem you were creative in finding an answer. Being high in creative intelligence is a huge asset because you think beyond your normal knowledge. You find other ways to solve or create something then what is given.
In Chapter 10 I learned about hereditary and environmental influences on intelligence. I found this interesting because they had two good points to prove. I f someone was born into a smart and well positioned person they would think by birthright they justify their social position. That is from heredity. However if we got our intelligence from the environment someone who was brought up in a disadvantage environment can expect to lead disadvantaged lives. I was curious to see whether I could blame my intelligence on my mother and father or I would have to thank nature for what it has given me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that you are a very creative person. You have good ideas, and when promted on the spot, you can make something up. My creativity is shown throughout my scrapbooks, too (that I am two years behind on!!). I also agree with Skinner's theory. We may not exactly tell children certain words, but they pick up on more than we know. They watch us, our actions and our words. They want to be like us, that's why we need to be role models and set good examples.

    ReplyDelete