Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Blog #12

When something is a psychological disorder it is an ongoing pattern of thoughts, feelings, and actions that are deviant, distressful, and/or dysfunctional. In order to decide what is a psychological disorder you have to view the standards for deviant behavior which vary by context and by culture. They also vary with time. However there is more to a disorder than being deviant. To be considered disordered, deviant behavior usually causes the press distress. If someone acts abnormally they are not disordered. Everyone acts different and has other thoughts on how they behavior. Unless the person shows signs of distress they are normal, I believe.
I have not had a psychological disorder, nor have I known anyone who is disordered. However I have studied the disorder of paranoid schizophrenia. Which preoccupation with delusions or hallucinations, often with themes of persecution or grandiosity is the definition. Some symptoms are confusion. lose of ouch with reality, strange behavior and actions and a change in eating and sleeping habits. If I had this disorder I don't think I would think anything of it. I think I would be looked at differently and have no friends. I would do weird actions and act abnormally.
I found learning about bipolar disorder very interesting. I learned that adolescences have mood swings from rage to bubbly which can produce a bipolar diagnosis. I found it interesting because I never knew that during the manic phase of bipolar disorder the person is typically overtalkative, overactive, and elated, have little need for sleep and show few sexual inhibitions. The person also finds advice irritating. They need protection from their own poor judgement, which may lead to reckless spending or unsafe sex.

1 comment:

  1. That is actually very interesting, what you said about bipolar disorder. I didn't know that you can go from being very happy and talkative to being very shy and shut down. I found that very interesting as well. I also thought that paranoid schizophrenia was very interesting. It is hard for me to imagine what life would be like of i had that or if someone i knew had that psychological disease.

    ReplyDelete