As I watched the video about Asch's Conformity I began to think of so many situations that I have been in myself. I sometimes believe that I know the right answer but then once everyone else says a different answer I begin to go with what they are saying. Althought I think that I am right I am not 100% sure. I think because the majority are voting for the same answer that I am wrong. Then I started to watch and learn about the Milgram's Obedience which I disagreed with. I couldn't believe the cruel ways people would treat others just for a psychological tests. Many of the people used as the victims in this test could have other problems that could result in life threaten situations. Finally was the Stanford Prison Experement which I believed to be very cruical and painful for the victims. I, once again, disagree with this experiment and still can't believe people would do such a thing to others. What I found rather interesting about these experiments were that some, if not most, of the victims to the experiments were able to leave the tests normal and fine even through all the different experimentation. These studies state that as humans no matter who you are the odds of you staying with what you think to be right over the majority of people thinking the opposite you are going to go with what others are thinking. That is just human nature.
A social influence can be seen in one's conformity (adjusting to one's behavior or thinking to coincide with a group standard) compliance and group behavior. The book has examples of normative and informational social influences. Normative include influences resulting from a perosn's desire to gain approval or avoid disapproval. Informational include influences resulthing in a person's willingnes to accept others's opinion in reality. An example of having a normative influence would be completing homework and doing well in school. I have an older brother who set the bar high when doing homework and taking tests. My parents have then expected the same from me even though I am not my brother. However because he has has set the bar and my parents believe and want me to do the same if not better I try my hardest and won't settle for anything less. Another good example of a social influence would be being voted President of Student Council. Because of my thoughts and some ideas I decided to run as an officer to have my ideas thrown out there. Because of my ideas and they relate to others I was voted as the President. Others began to understand my points of view and agree on topics with me.
The most interesting thing I learned in this class was the different parenting styles such as authoritarian, permissive, and authoritative. I found the different styles interesting and related them to the parents of my friends. I could pick out which parents were what and most importantly which parents mine were. My parents are the authoritarian type. They are strict and have many rules and do expect much obedience. They want us to be respectful towards others especially our elders and follow rules when they are given with no questions asked. They obiviously gave the rules out for a reason and that reason isn't to be quesioned. I learned many more important and interesting facts in psychology and parenting styles caught my attention the most.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment