Sunday, October 4, 2009

Blog #5

This week in psychology I learned a number of new things. One interesting concept that I learned was in the Evolutionary Psychology and Sexual Attitudes Video. I learned that men are more interested in casual sex than women are. I found it interesting that gay men are the same way and they are happy becasue they have found someone who will, 1. have the same interests, and 2. give them the casual sex they are looking for. I believe that men are prefer casual sex over women and I am curious to know why. Why aren't women more interested in having casual sex? What is the difference between how the mind of a man is working compared to a women? I was surprised to find out that because the vast majority of man are attracted to women and the vast majority of woman are attracted to men is because we evolved that way. My only question is because so many men are attracted to women and vis versa then why do we continue to have more confessions of being homosexual? I question myself and the video answered it in saying that because men are getting what they want because their partner wants it too. Women are obvisouly the same way, they have found someone who doesn't always want the casual sex.
Another concept that I learned and was surprised to read about was in The Nuture Assumption article. As I began reading it I learned that a children isn't entirely the way they are because of the up bring of their parents. I was interested to find out that because of the environment a children is born into can play a huge part in what the future will be like for that child. I agreed with that statement for the most part, but deep down I truely believe a child is the way they are because of how the parents treat the children and act towards them in good and bad situations. I am thankful to have the parents that I do because they raised me well and I believe I have a strong up bring that will benefit me in the future. I strongly believe my statement before because I have seen how parents approach their children and how those approaches are rubbed off and mentioned again in different terms.
A final interesting aspect that I learned from the lesson this week was in the Chapte 4 reading. I came across the topic of Evolutionary Psychology Today. It comments on Charles Darwin's theory and then goes into questions from other evolutionary psychologists have addressed. One question that keeps coming back into my mind is "Why are biological fathers so much less likely than unrelated boyfriends to abuse and murder the children with whom they share a home?" In my opinion unrelated boyfriends abuse and mrder the children because they are jealous and want to be the only person in the woman's life at this point in time. They don't want to have to share her and the home. They are in the early stages of a relationship and want to be able to do things that wouldn't involve the children. I also believe it is because they don't want to be reminded that their partner was once with another man and had sexual relations with him. Seeing the child or children everyday is that exact reminder. Those are just my beliefs and I would be very interested to find out what the psychological reasoning for that question would be. I don't understand how an innocent child can have such an effect on one man.

2 comments:

  1. I also found the video on Sexual Attitudes extremely interesting. The video really put alotof things into perspective. It is no secret than men prefer sex over women, but I never really thought about why. Your post proposed new questions to me as well. Why don't women prefer casual sex? Is there an answer to that? It's crazy interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completed agree with you when you said that a child is the way they are because of the environment that they grew up in. Parents have a major role in how we turn out. If we are nice and kind to people even when we don't want to be. I think that that is something that is genetic but our parents also help that genetic trait to show through and help us improve on it.

    ReplyDelete