Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blog #6

While I was talking to my grandma I learned a large amount of the different life styles that she lived in that I am living in today. I was shocked at everything she had to say that I never even thought about. I was shocked to find out that most girls didn't have their ears pierced. They also didn't wear much jewelry which would be hard for me because I absolutely love accessories with my wardrobe. They did, however, wear neck scarves which I believe has come back into fashion in a different style. As my grandma continued to talk I was amazed at the situations she mentioned with dating. She said she could date but no on ever asked her. She then stated that no one really dated in high school they just hung out as a large group as friends. Today there are so many couples in high school and now the younger children are beginning to "date" as well. One thing that my grandma pointed out that I took seriously was the fact that the difference between teenagers then and teenagers today is the lack of respect not only for other but for ourselves. She mentioned that she has met up with a few teenagers that have not treated her with the respect she remembered having to show others as a teenager. I took that to heart because in a way she is talking about her own grandchildren, maybe not specifically towards us, but that was the way I took it.
I honestly enjoyed the Parenting and Adolescence video. It really opened my eyes to how my parents are feeling and made me feel more comfortable about the way I act. I feel like I am just a teenager and this is the emotion and stages of life that I am going through right now. As I head toward my adult life I think back to when I first turned into a teenager and where I am at right now. I think my parents have given me the guidance that I needed to become who I am and that they have done a great job at it. I wouldn't change anything about my teenage years even though I have had some disagreements with my parents. I understand now where they were coming from when they wouldn't let me do something or wouldn't let me have something. They have reasons for everything that they do and of course at the time I don't want to sit and listen to those reasons because I am so angry with them. I believe my time as an adolescence has and still is impacting my life for adulthood tremendously. I have learned to be mature about certain situations and keep an opened mind when others are talking. I have learned to accept what I have and be grateful for what I was given. I think I will turn into a mature, well-rounded adult with much respect towards others and especially towards myself.
In Chapter 4 I learned about gender identity and gender typed. This two topics lead into socail learning theory. All three of those relate because they talk about males and females exhibiting traditionally masculine traits and interests or distinctly feminine traits and interests. Social learning theory states that children learn gender-linked behaviors by observing and imitating and by being rewarded or punished. I would have to agree 100% with that statement. I believe that children learn their gender at a young age byt the way they are talked to. For a girl it might be acting as a good mom while playing with dolls. For a guy it could be not crying because big boys don't cry after getting hurt. Even when a child is being discouraged parents tend to do it in a gender-type matter which still helps children learn their group and then they go into their "boy" or "girl" world.
In Chapter 5 many different things about infants and about children in their younger years. One that was brought to my attention because my mother is a day care provider was does day care affect attachment? The book stated that it does not affect their attachment. There the book continues to go into depth with the situation and talk about how it can actually sturdy an individual who can thrive in a wide variety of life situations. I would also have to agree with this situation. Being a by stander at my mother day care center I get to experience the different emotions and reactions from all different children as they enter the center and at the end of the day leave. I have come to realize that the first years that a child starts they are scared and only want to be with their moms which is typical. I mean I wouldn't want to go into a house I have never stepped foot into and be there for at least 8 hours out of the day without my mom. But as the child progress through the center they begin to attach to my mom and at really young ages treat her as if she was their mom. Once the child grow and start school they find it hard to leave the day care but go into school very outgoing and ready for any new person to come along to meet.

1 comment:

  1. For starters, I can't believe girls didn't have their ears pierced-I got mine pierced when I was six weeks old! I think our high school experience would be completely different nowadays if no one dated, just think of all the less drama there would be. I agree that our parents have made us into the people we are today, and because of this I believe that we will be well off as we enter adulthood. I can relate to your Chapter 5 topic, since my Mom also does daycare. I wasn't surprised to find out that attachment doesn't affect a relationship between a parent and a child. At my house, I think if anthing, it strengthens their bond.

    ReplyDelete